Woman Killed in Polk County Head-on Crash
Date: December 10, 2015
Location: Oregon 22
Names: Mark Allen Strutton Jr., Diana Marie Glover
Thursday evening a woman was killed and another man injured in a two-vehicle crash on Oregon 22 in Polk County.
A 1991 Toyota pickup crossed the center line and struck a Toyota RAV nearly head-on.
The driver of the RAV, Diana Marie Glover, 62, of Dallas, died at the scene.
The pickup driver, Mark Allen Strutton Jr., 27, of Willamina, was taken to the hospital for treatment of minor injuries.
The cause of the pickup crossing into oncoming traffic is under investigation.
We extend our condolences to the family and friends of Diana Marie Glover and wish Mark Allen Strutton Jr. a speedy recovery.
Oregon wrongful death claims are allowed under ORS 30.010-30.100, but the law is much more complicated than a normal accident case. First of all, the statute of limitations (SOL)(time limit on filing a claim) is different. For most car accidents, the SOL is two years, but for wrongful death, the SOL is “three years after the injury causing the death . . . is discovered or reasonably should have been discovered. . . .”
Additionally, there are limits on who can bring a wrongful death claim. The most common claimants are:
- Children (including stepchildren)
- Parents (including stepparents)
Less common claimants include:
In a wrongful death case, you can ask for compensation for several types of damages such as:
- Charges for medical services;
- Charges for burial and memorial services;
- Compensation that the decedent would have been entitled to for disability, pain and suffering, and loss of income during the period between injury and death;
- Compensation for “pecuniary loss” to the decedent’s estate;
- Compensation for the loss of the decedent’s “society, companionship and services” to the decedent’s spouse, children, stepchildren, stepparents, and parents;
Punitive damages are allowed as well, but are rare in Oregon since the State takes 70% of punitive damages awarded. If you have lost a loved one, call a Portland wrongful death attorney for help in securing the compensation you deserve.
Posted on December 14, 2015, in Car Accidents, personal injury, Wrongful Death and tagged car accident, car crash, dallas, Diana Marie Glover, head-on collision, head-on crash, Mark Allen Strutton Jr., oregon 22, Polk County, willamina, wrongful death. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.