Driver Dies in Crash with Log Truck near Pendleton
Date: December 3, 2015
Location: Highway 395
Names: James Miller, George Tester
Thursday afternoon a man died when his car struck a log truck on Highway 395 in Umatilla County.
A 2005 Chevrolet sedan was heading south on Highway 395 when the driver, James Miller, 91, of Pilot Rock, attempted to make a left turn onto Spring Creek Road.
Miller turned into the path of an oncoming log truck, which pushed the car more the 200 feet on impact.
Miller was pronounced dead at the scene.
The truck driver, George Tester, 26, of Pendleton, was not injured.
We extend our condolences to the family and friends of James Miller.
As Portland car accident attorneys, we know that filing an insurance claim can be extremely complicated and stressful. After a crash like this, any injured person can seek compensation through the at-fault driver’s insurance policy, or through their own uninsured motorist coverage.
Steps to Take for Filing an Insurance Claim after an Oregon Accident:
- Get medical treatment. If you’ve been injured, waiting to seek medical treatment can greatly affect the value of your claim.
- Right after the accident, write down any details you remember.
- Contact your insurance company and get a copy of your insurance policy if you don’t have one. Talk to your adjuster about using your personal injury protection (PIP) coverage for medical treatment, lost wages, etc.
- Determine the amount of property damage done.
- Start keeping good records. Get the police report, copies of medical bills, pictures of your car before and after repairs, etc.
- If you are considering hiring a lawyer, talk to the lawyer before you talk to the other driver’s insurance company.
- Get all correspondence with both insurance companies in writing.
- Do not sign anything until you are done treating and are medically stationary.
- Check the statute of limitations on your claim. For most car accidents in Oregon, the time limit is two years, but this is not true for all cases. In some cases, you will only have 180 days – speaking to an attorney can clarify your time limits.
- Discuss your case with a car accident attorney in Portland who offers free consultations to start understanding the laws that affect your case and your rights as an accident victim.
But before you speak to the insurance adjuster or an attorney, you can learn more about the Oregon insurance claim process in the very helpful book, 7 Common Mistakes That Can Wreck Your Oregon Accident Case.
Posted on December 8, 2015, in Car Accidents, truck accidents and tagged auto death, car accident, car crash, collision, George Tester, Highway 395, James Miller, pendleton, Pilot Rock, Spring Creek Road, truck crash, Umatilla County. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.