Pedestrian Killed Crossing Cornell Road in Hillsboro
Date: October 2, 2015
Location: Northeast Cornell Road
Name: Philip Michael Johnson
A few Thursday evenings ago, a pedestrian was killed by a car while crossing a busy intersection in Hillsboro.
Philip Michael Johnson, 27, was struck on Northeast Cornell Road near the west end of Elam Young Parkway near the Intel campus.
Johnson died in surgery at the hospital.
The driver was cooperating with police and they did not believe alcohol or speed were factors in the accident.
We extend our condolences to the family and friends of Philip Michael Johnson.
Oregon wrongful death claims are allowed under ORS 30.010-30.100, but the law is much more complicated than a normal accident case. First of all, the statute of limitations (SOL)(time limit on filing a claim) is different. For most car accidents, the SOL is two years, but for wrongful death, the SOL is “three years after the injury causing the death . . . is discovered or reasonably should have been discovered. . . .”
Additionally, there are limits on who can bring a wrongful death claim. The most common claimants are:
- Children (including stepchildren)
- Parents (including stepparents)
Less common claimants include:
In a wrongful death case, you can ask for compensation for several types of damages such as:
- Charges for medical services;
- Charges for burial and memorial services;
- Compensation that the decedent would have been entitled to for disability, pain and suffering, and loss of income during the period between injury and death;
- Compensation for “pecuniary loss” to the decedent’s estate;
- Compensation for the loss of the decedent’s “society, companionship and services” to the decedent’s spouse, children, stepchildren, stepparents, and parents;
Punitive damages are allowed as well, but are rare in Oregon since the State takes 70% of punitive damages awarded. If you have lost a loved one, call a Portland wrongful death attorney for help in securing the compensation you deserve.
Posted on October 15, 2015, in Pedestrian Accidents, Wrongful Death and tagged Elam Young Parkway, Hillsboro, Intel, Northeast Cornell Road, pedestrian accident, pedestrian crash, pedestrian death, Philip Michael Johnson, wrongful death. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.