Pedestrian Struck and Killed in NE Portland
Date: August 10, 2015
Location: Northeast 82nd Avenue and Glisan Street
Monday morning a pedestrian died after they were struck by a car in Northeast Portland.
The accident occurred at the intersection of Northeast 82nd Avenue and Glisan Street.
When the police arrived to the scene, a passerby was performing CPR on a man who had been struck by a car. The man was taken to the hospital were he died.
The driver was treated at the scene for an unknown medical condition and is cooperating with the investigation.
We extend our condolences to the man who died from his injuries.
Oregon wrongful death claims are allowed under ORS 30.010-30.100, but the law is much more complicated than a normal accident case. First of all, the statute of limitations (SOL)(time limit on filing a claim) is different. For most car accidents, the SOL is two years, but for wrongful death, the SOL is “three years after the injury causing the death . . . is discovered or reasonably should have been discovered. . . .”
Additionally, there are limits on who can bring a wrongful death claim. The most common claimants are:
- Children (including stepchildren)
- Parents (including stepparents)
Less common claimants include:
In a wrongful death case, you can ask for compensation for several types of damages such as:
- Charges for medical services;
- Charges for burial and memorial services;
- Compensation that the decedent would have been entitled to for disability, pain and suffering, and loss of income during the period between injury and death;
- Compensation for “pecuniary loss” to the decedent’s estate;
- Compensation for the loss of the decedent’s “society, companionship and services” to the decedent’s spouse, children, stepchildren, stepparents, and parents;
Punitive damages are allowed as well, but are rare in Oregon since the State takes 70% of punitive damages awarded. If you have lost a loved one, call a Portland wrongful death attorney for help in securing the compensation you deserve.
Posted on August 11, 2015, in Pedestrian Accidents, Wrongful Death and tagged NE 82nd Ave., NE Glisan street, northeast 82nd avenue, Northeast Glisan Street, northeast portland, pedestrian accident, pedestrian death, pedestrian injury, pedestrian struck by car, Personal Injury, wrongful death. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.