Bicyclist Killed in Corbett Vehicle Accident
Date: June 27, 2015
Location: East Haines Road
Name: Austin Crenshaw
Saturday morning a Portland man died after his bicycle crashed and went into oncoming traffic near Corbett.
Austin Crenshaw, 38, of Portland, and several other bicyclists were traveling downhill eastbound on East Haines Road. Crenshaw crashed on a curve and his bike traveled into the westbound lanes of traffic, striking a vehicle heading uphill.
Crenshaw died at the scene from traumatic injuries.
We extend our condolences to the family and friends of Austin Crenshaw, and we hope this accident serves as a reminder to drivers to be careful around Oregon bicyclists.
When a bicyclist gets hit by car, the injuries are often severe. As Portland bicycle accident attorneys, we understand the dangers and the consequences of getting hit by car.
In bicycle accident cases, injuries are often very severe. Even if you were wearing a helmet, make sure you are tested for traumatic brain injury – sometimes these are not immediately apparent until tests have been performed. Seek immediate medical treatment.
What You NEED to Know:
- If you have been hit by a car, you can file a claim with the auto insurance company of the person who hit you.
- Your own Personal Injury Protection (PIP through your own auto insurance) still applies in this type of case, so use your own auto insurance to pay medical bills until you settle your claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance.
- If you don’t have an auto insurance policy, then your health insurance will cover your medical bills. If you don’t have auto or health insurance, the at-fault driver’s PIP should cover your medical bills.
- The at-fault driver’s insurance should eventually cover all your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, and even damage to your bicycle, up to the policy limit.
- You have two years (in most cases) to file a claim, but sooner is usually better. In some cases, like if the driver works for the city, state, or county, you could have deadlines as soon as 180 days.
- You should not sign a release with the other insurance company until you are sure you know the extent of your injuries and damages.
- The insurance adjusters for the bad driver are not your friends. Their job is to save the insurance company money by paying you as little as possible.
- In most cases, it is a good idea to hire a bicycle accident attorney to protect your rights because insurance company adjusters can be tricky.
If you have more questions about the personal injury process, what to do after being hit by car, or want to speak to an attorney, call 503-222-4411 or visit www.pdxinjurylaw.com.
Posted on June 30, 2015, in Bicycle Accidents and tagged Austin Crenshaw, bicycle accident, bicycle crash, bicycle death, bike accident, bike crash, collision, Corbett, East Haines Road, Historic Columbia River Highway, Personal Injury. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.