Two Killed in Wrong-way Crash on State Route 500 in Clark County

Date: June 12, 2015

Location: State Route 500

Names: Randal S. Corbin, Michael B. York, Amy M. Osborne-Clarke

Two Killed in Wrong-way Crash on State Route 500 in Clark County

Friday morning two people were killed in a wrong-way, head-on collision on State Route 500.

Randal S. Corbin, 32, of Vancouver, was heading west in a 1985 Nissan in the eastbound lanes when he struck a 2005 Honda Element head-on near Northeast Anderson Road. The Nissan caught fire after the collision.

Corbin and a passenger in the Honda, Michael B. York, 33, of Washougal, both died in the collision. The Honda’s driver, Amy M. Osborne-Clarke, 38, of Vancouver, was taken to the hospital for treatment of injuries.

We extend our condolences to the family and friends of Michael B. York and Randal S. Corbin.  We wish Amy M. Osborne-Clark a full and speedy recovery.

Oregon wrongful death claims are allowed under ORS 30.010-30.100, but the law is much more complicated than a normal accident case. First of all, the statute of limitations (SOL)(time limit on filing a claim) is different. For most car accidents, the SOL is two years, but for wrongful death, the SOL is “three years after the injury causing the death . . . is discovered or reasonably should have been discovered. . . .”

Additionally, there are limits on who can bring a wrongful death claim. The most common claimants are:

  • Spouses
  • Children (including stepchildren)
  • Parents (including stepparents)

Less common claimants include:

  • Grandchildren
  • Siblings
  • Grandparents

In a wrongful death case, you can ask for compensation for several types of damages such as:

  • Charges for medical services;
  • Charges for burial and memorial services;
  • Compensation that the decedent would have been entitled to for disability, pain and suffering, and loss of income during the period between injury and death;
  • Compensation for “pecuniary loss” to the decedent’s estate;
  • Compensation for the loss of the decedent’s “society, companionship and services” to the decedent’s spouse, children, stepchildren, stepparents, and parents;

Punitive damages are allowed as well, but are rare in Oregon since the State takes 70% of punitive damages awarded. If you have lost a loved one, call a Portland wrongful death attorney for help in securing the compensation you deserve.


About Sean DuBois

Sean is a personal injury attorney in Portland, OR. He has been recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine as Oregon Rising Stars for the past four years because of his dedication to justice and fair compensation for his clients. If you need to speak with a lawyer about your injury case, Sean can be reached at 503-222-4411.

Posted on June 15, 2015, in Automobile Accidents, Car Accidents, personal injury, Wrongful Death and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: