Bicyclist Dies in SE Portland Collision with Tow Truck
Date: May 27, 2015
Location: SE Cesar Chavez and Gladstone Street
Names: Mark James Angeles, Jolene Friedow
Wednesday afternoon a cyclist was hit in a fatal collision with a tow truck. The bicyclist was found dead at Gladstone Street and Cesar Chavez Boulevard.
The bicyclist was identified as Mark James Angeles, 22, of Southeast Portland. Angeles died Thursday of blunt force head trauma. The tow truck driver was Jolene Friedow, 40, of Estacada.
The tow truck turned left onto Cesar E. Chavez pulling a Volvo sedan and it crossed into the lane Angeles was traveling.
We extend our condolences to the family and friends of the cyclist, and we hope this accident serves as a reminder to drivers to be careful around Oregon bicyclists.
When a bicyclist gets hit by car, the injuries are often severe. As Portland bicycle accident attorneys, we understand the dangers and the consequences of getting hit by car.
In bicycle accident cases, injuries are often very severe. Even if you were wearing a helmet, make sure you are tested for traumatic brain injury – sometimes these are not immediately apparent until tests have been performed. Seek immediate medical treatment.
What You NEED to Know:
- If you have been hit by a car, you can file a claim with the auto insurance company of the person who hit you.
- Your own Personal Injury Protection (PIP through your own auto insurance) still applies in this type of case, so use your own auto insurance to pay medical bills until you settle your claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance.
- If you don’t have an auto insurance policy, then your health insurance will cover your medical bills. If you don’t have auto or health insurance, the at-fault driver’s PIP should cover your medical bills.
- The at-fault driver’s insurance should eventually cover all your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, and even damage to your bicycle, up to the policy limit.
- You have two years (in most cases) to file a claim, but sooner is usually better. In some cases, like if the driver works for the city, state, or county, you could have deadlines as soon as 180 days.
- You should not sign a release with the other insurance company until you are sure you know the extent of your injuries and damages.
- The insurance adjusters for the bad driver are not your friends. Their job is to save the insurance company money by paying you as little as possible.
- In most cases, it is a good idea to hire a bicycle accident attorney to protect your rights because insurance company adjusters can be tricky.
If you have more questions about the personal injury process, what to do after being hit by car, or want to speak to an attorney, call 503-222-4411 or visit www.pdxinjurylaw.com.
Posted on May 28, 2015, in Bicycle Accidents and tagged bicycle accident, bicycle crash, cesar chavez, collision, Jolene Friedow, Mark James Angeles, se 39th street, se cesar chavez boulevard, se gladstone street, SE Portland, tow truck accident, tow truck collision, wrongful death. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.