Forest Grove Man Dies in Fatal Crash
Date: May 8, 2015
Location: Northwest Gales Creek Road
Name: Steven Vincent Gorretta
Friday evening a man died after his vehicle rolled over near Northwest Gales Creek Road and Sargent Road in Washington County.
A 1970 Ford Mustang driven by Steven Vincent Gorretta, 53, failed to negotiate a curve on the road and hit vehicle rolled off the road. Gorretta died at the scene and was not wearing a seat belt.
We extend our condolences to the family and friends of Steven Vincent Gorretta.
Oregon wrongful death claims are allowed under ORS 30.010-30.100, but the law is much more complicated than a normal accident case. First of all, the statute of limitations (SOL)(time limit on filing a claim) is different. For most car accidents, the SOL is two years, but for wrongful death, the SOL is “three years after the injury causing the death . . . is discovered or reasonably should have been discovered. . . .”
Additionally, there are limits on who can bring a wrongful death claim. The most common claimants are:
- Children (including stepchildren)
- Parents (including stepparents)
Less common claimants include:
In a wrongful death case, you can ask for compensation for several types of damages such as:
- Charges for medical services;
- Charges for burial and memorial services;
- Compensation that the decedent would have been entitled to for disability, pain and suffering, and loss of income during the period between injury and death;
- Compensation for “pecuniary loss” to the decedent’s estate;
- Compensation for the loss of the decedent’s “society, companionship and services” to the decedent’s spouse, children, stepchildren, stepparents, and parents;
Punitive damages are allowed as well, but are rare in Oregon since the State takes 70% of punitive damages awarded. If you have lost a loved one, call a Portland wrongful death attorney for help in securing the compensation you deserve.
Posted on May 11, 2015, in Automobile Accidents, Car Accidents, Oregon Car Accidents, rollovers, Wrongful Death and tagged auto death, car accident, car crash, Forest grove, northwest gales creek road, rollover, sargent road, single-car crash, Steven Vincent Gorretta, Washington County. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.