One Dead in Fatal Crash at Airport Way and 148th
Date: April 15, 2015
Location: Northeast 148th Avenue and Airport Way
Early Wednesday morning, one person died in a crash near Northeast 148th Avenue and Airport Way.
A vehicle left the roadway and hit a tree before coming to a rest in front of the Portland Police Bureau Training Complex.
The crash is still under investigation.
We extend our condolences to the family and friends of the dead person and wish anyone else involved in the crash a full and speedy recovery.
Oregon wrongful death claims are allowed under ORS 30.010-30.100, but the law is much more complicated than a normal accident case. First of all, the statute of limitations (SOL)(time limit on filing a claim) is different. For most car accidents, the SOL is two years, but for wrongful death, the SOL is “three years after the injury causing the death . . . is discovered or reasonably should have been discovered. . . .”
Additionally, there are limits on who can bring a wrongful death claim. The most common claimants are:
- Children (including stepchildren)
- Parents (including stepparents)
Less common claimants include:
In a wrongful death case, you can ask for compensation for several types of damages such as:
- Charges for medical services;
- Charges for burial and memorial services;
- Compensation that the decedent would have been entitled to for disability, pain and suffering, and loss of income during the period between injury and death;
- Compensation for “pecuniary loss” to the decedent’s estate;
- Compensation for the loss of the decedent’s “society, companionship and services” to the decedent’s spouse, children, stepchildren, stepparents, and parents;
Punitive damages are allowed as well, but are rare in Oregon since the State takes 70% of punitive damages awarded. If you have lost a loved one, call a Portland wrongful death attorney for help in securing the compensation you deserve.
Posted on April 15, 2015, in Automobile Accidents, Car Accidents, Oregon Car Accidents, Wrongful Death and tagged airport way, car accident, car crash, northeast 148th avenue, northeast portland, wrongful death. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.