Motorcyclist Dies in Crash in Grants Pass
Date: March 21, 2015
Location: Grants Pass
Name: Christopher Michael Rizzo
Saturday afternoon a motorcyclist died from his injuries after crashing on the 2300 block of Foothill Boulevard.
Christopher Michael Rizzo, 41, of Portland, was taken to Three Rivers Medical Center where he died several hours later.
The cause of the accident is unknown and is under investigation.
We extend our condolences to the family and friends of Christopher Michael Rizzo.
Oregon wrongful death claims are allowed under ORS 30.010-30.100, but the law is much more complicated than a normal accident case. First of all, the statute of limitations (SOL)(time limit on filing a claim) is different. For most car accidents, the SOL is two years, but for wrongful death, the SOL is “three years after the injury causing the death . . . is discovered or reasonably should have been discovered. . . .”
Additionally, there are limits on who can bring a wrongful death claim. The most common claimants are:
- Children (including stepchildren)
- Parents (including stepparents)
Less common claimants include:
In a wrongful death case, you can ask for compensation for several types of damages such as:
- Charges for medical services;
- Charges for burial and memorial services;
- Compensation that the decedent would have been entitled to for disability, pain and suffering, and loss of income during the period between injury and death;
- Compensation for “pecuniary loss” to the decedent’s estate;
- Compensation for the loss of the decedent’s “society, companionship and services” to the decedent’s spouse, children, stepchildren, stepparents, and parents;
Punitive damages are allowed as well, but are rare in Oregon since the State takes 70% of punitive damages awarded. If you have lost a loved one, call a Portland wrongful death attorney for help in securing the compensation you deserve.
Posted on March 24, 2015, in Motorcycle Accident, Wrongful Death and tagged christopher michael rizzo, foothill boulevard, grants pass, motorcycle accident, Motorcycle Crash, motorcycle death, Personal Injury, Portland, wrongful death. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.