Pedestrian Killed on Tualatin Valley Highway in Hillsboro
Date: February 21, 2015
Location: Tualatin Valley Highway
A woman was struck and killed by a minivan Saturday evening while walking in the middle of Tualatin Valley Highway in Hillsboro.
The 33-year-old woman was found dead at the scene near Imlay Street.
The woman was crossing the highway when she was struck by a 2005 Toyota Sienna minivan.
The driver is cooperating with investigators and said she did not see the pedestrian in the road.
We extend our condolences to the family and friends of the dead woman.
Oregon wrongful death claims are allowed under ORS 30.010-30.100. But the law is much more complicated than a normal accident case. First of all, the statute of limitations (time limit on filing a claim) is different. For most car accidents, the SOL is 2 years, but for wrongful death, the SOL is “three years after the injury causing the death . . . is discovered or reasonably should have been discovered. . . .” In other words, it’s not three years from the date of death; it’s three years from the date of the original injury that ultimately caused the death.
Additionally, there are limits on who can bring a wrongful death claim. The most common claimants are:
- Children (including stepchildren)
- Parents (including stepparents)
Less common claimants include:
In a wrongful death case, you can ask for compensation for several types of damages as well.
Compensatory damages include.
- Charges for medical services;
- Charges for burial and memorial services;
- Compensation that the decedent would have been entitled to for disability, pain, suffering and loss of income during the period between injury and death;
- Compensation for “pecuniary loss” to the decedent’s estate;
- Compensation for the loss of the decedent’s “society, companionship and services” to the decedent’s spouse, children, stepchildren, stepparents, and parents;
Punitive damages are allowed as well, but are rare in Oregon since the State takes 70% of punitive damages awarded. If you have lost a loved one, call a Portland wrongful death attorney for help in securing the compensation you deserve.
Posted on February 25, 2015, in Pedestrian Accidents, Wrongful Death and tagged Hillsboro, imlay street, pedestrian accident, pedestrian death, tualatin valley highway, tv highway, wrongful death. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.