Woman Seriously Injured in Crash with Cement Truck
Date: January 13, 2015
Location: Northwest Thompson and Saltzman Road
Name: Barbara Sanders, Joe Apperson Jr.
Tuesday afternoon a woman was seriously injured in a crash with a cement truck near Findley Elementary School in Cedar Mill.
The crash occurred at Northwest Thompson and Saltzman Road around 1pm when the cement truck collided with an 2012 Acura TL.
The Acura driver, 55-year-old Barbara Sanders, was taken to the hospital by LifeFlight with serious injuries.
The truck driver, Joe Apperson Jr., 45, of West Linn, was not injured.
We wish the woman a full and speedy recovery.
As Portland car accident attorneys, we know that filing an insurance claim can be extremely complicated and stressful. After a crash like this, any injured person can seek compensation through the at-fault driver’s insurance policy, or through their own uninsured motorist coverage.
Steps to Take for Filing an Insurance Claim after an Oregon Accident
- Get medical treatment. If you’ve been injured, waiting to seek medical treatment can greatly affect the value of your claim.
- Right after the accident, write down any details you remember.
- Contact your insurance company and get a copy of your insurance policy if you don’t have one. Talk to your adjuster about using your personal injury protection (PIP) coverage for medical treatment, lost wages, etc.
- Determine the amount of property damage done.
- Start keeping good records. Get the police report, copies of medical bills, pictures of your car before and after repairs, etc.
- If you are considering hiring a lawyer, talk to the lawyer before you talk to the other driver’s insurance company.
- If you know you are not going to hire an attorney, contact the insurance company for the other driver yourself. Be honest, but do not give a recorded statement and do not admit any liability.
- Get all correspondence with both insurance companies in writing.
- Do not sign anything until you are done treating and are medically stationary.
- Check the statute of limitations on your claim. For most car accidents in Oregon, the time limit is two years, but this is not true for all cases. In some cases, you will only have 180 days – speaking to an attorney can clarify your time limits.
- Discuss your case with a car accident attorney in Portland who offers free consultations to start understanding the laws that affect your case and your rights as an accident victim.
But before you speak to the insurance adjuster or an attorney, you can learn more about the Oregon insurance claim process in the very helpful book, 7 Common Mistakes That Can Wreck Your Oregon Accident Case.
Posted on January 15, 2015, in Automobile Accidents, Car Accidents, Oregon Car Accidents, personal injury, Portland personal injury attorneys, truck accidents and tagged Barbara Sanders, car accident, car crash, cedar mill, cement mixer crash, collision, findley elementary school, Joe Apperson Jr., northwest saltzman road, northwest thompson road, Personal Injury, personal injury attorney, personal injury lawyer. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.