Pedestrian Struck and Killed on I-205 near NE Sandy Blvd.
Date: December 1, 2014
Location: Interstate 205
Name: Ritchie James Dodge
Monday evening a pedestrian was hit and killed on Interstate 205.
Ritchie James Dodge, 40, was hit while crossing all southbound lanes.
The police believe Dodge may have been panhandling along the northbound ramp on Northeast Sandy Boulevard.
The driver who hit him did not seem to be impaired and is cooperating with the investigation.
We extend our condolences to the family and friends of Ritchie James Dodge.
Oregon wrongful death claims are allowed under ORS 30.010-30.100. But the law is much more complicated than a normal accident case. First of all, the statute of limitations (time limit on filing a claim) is different. For most car accidents, the SOL is 2 years, but for wrongful death, the SOL is “three years after the injury causing the death . . . is discovered or reasonably should have been discovered. . . .” In other words, it’s not three years from the date of death; it’s three years from the date of the original injury that ultimately caused the death.
Additionally, there are limits on who can bring a wrongful death claim. The most common claimants are:
- Children (including stepchildren)
- Parents (including stepparents)
Less common claimants include:
In a wrongful death case, you can ask for compensation for several types of damages as well.
Compensatory damages include.
- Charges for medical services;
- Charges for burial and memorial services;
- Compensation that the decedent would have been entitled to for disability, pain, suffering and loss of income during the period between injury and death;
- Compensation for “pecuniary loss” to the decedent’s estate;
- Compensation for the loss of the decedent’s “society, companionship and services” to the decedent’s spouse, children, stepchildren, stepparents, and parents;
Punitive damages are allowed as well, but are rare in Oregon since the State takes 70% of punitive damages awarded. If you have lost a loved one, call a Portland wrongful death attorney for help in securing the compensation you deserve.
Posted on December 3, 2014, in Pedestrian Accidents, Wrongful Death and tagged I-205, interstate 205, ne sandy blvd., northeast portland, northeast sandy boulevard, pedestrian accident, pedestrian death, ritchie james dodge, wrongful death. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.