Cyclist Struck by Falling Tree in Downtown Portland
Date: November 11, 2014
Location: Southwest Naito Parkway
A falling tree along Southwest Naito Parkway hit a cyclist Tuesday afternoon.
The woman was riding her bike as the large tree hit her and a vehicle around 4:10pm.
The woman had traumatic injuries and was taken to a nearby hospital.
The occupants in the vehicle were not injured.
We wish the woman a full and speedy recovery.
When a bicyclist gets hit by car, the biker always loses – no matter who was at fault – because cars are so much heavier. As Portland bicycle accident attorneys, we understand the dangers and the consequences of getting hit by car.
In bicycle accident cases, injuries are often very severe. Even if you were wearing a helmet, make sure you are tested for traumatic brain injury – sometimes these are not immediately apparent until tests have been performed. Seek immediate medical treatment.
What You NEED to Know:
- If you have been hit by a car, you can file a claim with the auto insurance company of the person who hit you.
- The at-fault driver’s insurance should cover all your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, and even damage to your bicycle, up to the policy limit.
- Your own Personal Injury Protection (through your own auto insurance) still applies in this type of case, so use your own auto insurance to pay bills until you settle your claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance.
- You have two years (in most cases) to file a claim, but sooner is usually better.
- But in some cases, like if the driver works for the city, state, or county, you could have deadlines as soon as 180 days.
- You should not sign a release with the other insurance company until you are sure you know the extent of your injuries and damages.
- The insurance adjuster is not your friend. His job is to save his company money by paying you as little as possible.
- In most cases, it is a good idea to hire a bicycle accident attorney to protect your rights because insurance company adjusters can be tricky.
If you have more questions about the personal injury process, what to do after being hit by car, or want to speak to an attorney, call 503-222-4411 or visit www.pdxinjurylaw.com.
Posted on November 12, 2014, in Bicycle Accidents, Oregon Personal Injury Attorney, personal injury and tagged bike accident, cyclist injury, downtown portland, heavy wind, high winds, Personal Injury, personal injury laywer, southwest naito parkway, strong win, tree fallen, waterfront park, wind gusts. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.