Corvallis Cyclist in Serious Condition After Being Hit by Tractor-Trailer in McMinnville
Date: September 3, 2014
Name: Richard Barrett
A bicyclist, 67-year-old Richard Barrett, is in serious condition after being struck by a tractor-trailer in McMinnville on Wednesday. Police believe the trailer is what hit Barrett and since he was wearing a helmet, it significantly reduced the level of injuries.
Barrett was riding south on the shoulder of Northwest Hill Road when a 1993 Freightliner tractor-trailer came up behind him. Kasey Kauer, 33 of Amity, was driving the truck as he tried to pass Barrett and struck him.
The incident is still under investigation and Barrett is being treated at OHSU hospital in Portland.
We wish Richard Barrett a full and speedy recovery, and we hope this accident serves as a reminder to drivers to be careful around Oregon bicyclists.
When a bicyclist gets hit by car, the biker always loses – no matter who was at fault – because cars are so much heavier. As Portland bicycle accident attorneys, we understand the dangers and the consequences of getting hit by car.
In bicycle accident cases, injuries are often very severe. Even if you were wearing a helmet, make sure you are tested for traumatic brain injury – sometimes these are not immediately apparent until tests have been performed. Seek immediate medical treatment.
What You NEED to Know:
- If you have been hit by a car, you can file a claim with the auto insurance company of the person who hit you.
- The at-fault driver’s insurance should cover all your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, and even damage to your bicycle, up to the policy limit.
- Your own Personal Injury Protection (through your own auto insurance) still applies in this type of case, so use your own auto insurance to pay bills until you settle your claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance.
- You have two years (in most cases) to file a claim, but sooner is usually better.
- But in some cases, like if the driver works for the city, state, or county, you could have deadlines as soon as 180 days.
- You should not sign a release with the other insurance company until you are sure you know the extent of your injuries and damages.
- The insurance adjuster is not your friend. His job is to save his company money by paying you as little as possible.
- In most cases, it is a good idea to hire a bicycle accident attorney to protect your rights because insurance company adjusters can be tricky.
If you have more questions about the personal injury process, what to do after being hit by car, or want to speak to an attorney, call 503-222-4411 or visit www.pdxinjurylaw.com.
Posted on September 4, 2014, in Portland personal injury attorneys and tagged bike accident, kasey kauer, mcminnville, McMinnville Oregon accident, richard barrett. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.