Powell Butte Man Seriously Injures Cyclist With Truck on Oregon 126
Date: August 28, 2014
Location: Oregon 126
Name: Frederick Bouwman
Norman Chadwick, 44, was issued a citation for unsafe passing of a person operating a bicycle after his truck knocked a cyclist off his bike on Oregon 126.
The cyclist, Frederick Bouwan, 53, of Ontario Canada was riding on the shoulder near milepost 9 when he was hit by Chadwick’s GMC Sierra pickup truck.
Bouwman was taken to the St. Charles Medical Center in Bend and is being treated for serious injuries. Bouwman was wearing a helmet at the time of the incident.
We wish Frederick Bouwman a full and speedy recovery, and we hope this accident serves as a reminder to drivers to be careful around Oregon bicyclists.
When a bicyclist gets hit by car, the biker always loses – no matter who was at fault – because cars are so much heavier. As Portland bicycle accident attorneys, we understand the dangers and the consequences of getting hit by car.
In bicycle accident cases, injuries are often very severe. Even if you were wearing a helmet, make sure you are tested for traumatic brain injury – sometimes these are not immediately apparent until tests have been performed. Seek immediate medical treatment.
What You NEED to Know:
- If you have been hit by a car, you can file a claim with the auto insurance company of the person who hit you.
- The at-fault driver’s insurance should cover all your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, and even damage to your bicycle, up to the policy limit.
- Your own Personal Injury Protection (through your own auto insurance) still applies in this type of case, so use your own auto insurance to pay bills until you settle your claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance.
- You have two years (in most cases) to file a claim, but sooner is usually better.
- But in some cases, like if the driver works for the city, state, or county, you could have deadlines as soon as 180 days.
- You should not sign a release with the other insurance company until you are sure you know the extent of your injuries and damages.
- The insurance adjuster is not your friend. His job is to save his company money by paying you as little as possible.
- In most cases, it is a good idea to hire a bicycle accident attorney to protect your rights because insurance company adjusters can be tricky.
If you have more questions about the personal injury process, what to do after being hit by car, or want to speak to an attorney, call 503-222-4411 or visit www.pdxinjurylaw.com.
Posted on August 29, 2014, in Portland personal injury attorneys and tagged bike accident, Frederick Bouwman, Norman Chadwick, Oregon 126, Personal Injury, Powell Butte. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.