A Women who was injured by light-rail doors shutting on her is suing TriMet for $215,000

Date: October 22, 2013
Location: Oregon Convention Center Station
Name: Raissa Moore

A woman who was injured when the doors of a light-rail train closed on her is suing TriMet for $251,000.

Raissa Moore, a 77-year-old Portland resident, has filed suit stating that TriMet failed to maintain its doors so they don’t close on boarding passengers. As Moore was attempting to board a crowded train, the doors closed on her and she fell to the platform. She reportedly suffered fractures to her hip and to her pelvis in the incident. Her attorney, Stephen Kahn, reported that she had over $100,000 in medical bills due to the doors closing on her and the subsequent fall.

The incident occurred on Oct. 22, 2013, at the Oregon Convention Center station.

TriMet has not commented on the suit, other than to say they don’t comment on cases in active litigation.

We would like to offer our best wishes to Raissa Moore for a full recovery from her injuries.

When a person is injured by an employee of the city, county, state, or other public body, or by their negligence, the injured person may be able to sue the public body for damages and their injury.

To do so, they must alert the public body that caused their injury through a Tort Claim Notice. In most cases the Tort Claim Notice must be received no later than 180 days from date of the injury. If the accident is fatal, however, the Notice must be received within one year. Filing a lawsuit against a public body is more complicated than suing a private person, so you may want to work with an experienced Oregon injury lawyer.

Details regarding the process of sending an Oregon Tort Claim Notice are available in ORS 30.275. Be careful, though, because in some cases more than one public body may be ultimately responsible, as when a “city” street is actually maintained by the county, for example, and a Tort Claim Notice will need to be sent to both.

If you still have questions after reading the Oregon Statute, you should contact an Oregon personal injury attorney. They will be able to answer your questions, assess your case, and if you hire them, support and guide you through this complex legal process.

About Sean DuBois

Sean is a personal injury attorney in Portland, OR. He has been recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine as Oregon Rising Stars for the past four years because of his dedication to justice and fair compensation for his clients. If you need to speak with a lawyer about your injury case, Sean can be reached at 503-222-4411.

Posted on July 21, 2014, in Demands, Lawsuits Against the State, Pedestrian Accidents, personal injury, Train Accidents and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: