Man Hit by MAX at SE Division St. Station

Date: December 22, 2013
Location: Southeast Division Street Station at 94th Avenue, Portland
Name: Victim Not Named

A man was injured after being struck by a Portland MAX train on Sunday, December 22, 2013.

Very few details are known at this time, however, police believe that the unidentified man either walked or ran in front of the southbound train, as it was slowing for station stop at Southeast Division Street Station at 94th Avenue. The man was then pinned under the train.

Rescue crews arrived on the scene and had to use equipment to move the train and free the man who was trapped. Shuttle buses were provided as railway service was interrupted for a period of time.

The man’s name has not been released and the extent of his injuries, as well as his current condition is not known, though it was reported that he survived the incident. It is not known why the man was walking or running across the train tracks.

We would like to express our best wishes for a fast and full recovery to the man who was hit by the train. Usually, victims of such accidents do not survive and the man involved was very fortunate that he was not killed in the accident. Our hopes are with him for a full recovery.

When a person is injured by an employee of the city, county, state, or other public body, or by their negligence, the injured person may be able to sue the public body for damages and their injury.

To do so, they must alert the public body that caused their injury through a Tort Claim Notice. In most cases the Tort Claim Notice must be received no later than 180 days from date of the injury. If the accident is fatal, however, the Notice must be received within one year. Filing a lawsuit against a public body is more complicated than suing a private person, so you may want to work with an experienced Oregon injury lawyer.

Details regarding the process of sending an Oregon Tort Claim Notice are available in ORS 30.275. Be careful, though, because in some cases more than one public body may be ultimately responsible, as when a “city” street is actually maintained by the county, for example, and a Tort Claim Notice will need to be sent to both.

If you still have questions after reading the Oregon Statute, you should contact an Oregon personal injury attorney. They will be able to answer your questions, assess your case, and if you hire them, support and guide you through this complex legal process.


About Sean DuBois

Sean is a personal injury attorney in Portland, OR. He has been recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine as Oregon Rising Stars for the past four years because of his dedication to justice and fair compensation for his clients. If you need to speak with a lawyer about your injury case, Sean can be reached at 503-222-4411.

Posted on December 31, 2013, in Lawsuits Against the State, Portland personal injury attorneys. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: