Woman Collided with Water Bureau Truck on SW Barbur

Date: November 25, 2013
Location: Southwest Barbur Boulevard, Portland
Names: Unknown

A two vehicle crash resulted in a fatality on Monday, November 25, 2013.

Police report that a woman, whose identity has not been verified, was traveling on Southwest Barbur Boulevard around 2:30 in the afternoon. As she approached the intersection of Southwest Barbur and Southwest Miles Street, she collided with a Portland Water Bureau truck. The 2006 Ford minivan she was in caught fire and the fire eventually spread to the hillside.

Police report that an eyewitness attempted to help the driver of the minivan, but was unable to get her out of the vehicle. The driver of the Water Bureau truck involved attempted to help as well, but their attempts were unsuccessful. The minivan driver died at the scene. The driver of the truck was not injured.

At this time, the accident is still in the preliminary investigation stages. The police believe it is possible the minivan driver crossed the center line of the road, though it is not known why.

ODOT spokesman Don Hamilton was reported as saying this stretch of road has serious problems with accidents. In 2012, there were 129 accidents, which is 50% higher than the rest of the crash rates on Portland streets. While there are plans to expand crosswalks and sidewalks, no plans regarding making the road safer for vehicles were mentioned.

We would like to express our deepest sympathy to the family and friends of the woman killed in this accident. We hope that something is done to make this roadway safer, to avoid tragedies like this in the future.

When a person is injured by an employee of the city, county, state, or other public body, or by their negligence, the injured person may be able to sue the public body for damages and their injury.

To do so, they must alert the public body that caused their injury through a Tort Claim Notice. In most cases the Tort Claim Notice must be received no later than 180 days from date of the injury. If the accident is fatal, however, the Notice must be received within one year. Filing a lawsuit against a public body is more complicated than suing a private person, so you may want to work with an experienced Oregon injury lawyer.

Details regarding the process of sending an Oregon Tort Claim Notice are available in ORS 30.275. Be careful, though, because in some cases more than one public body may be ultimately responsible, as when a “city” street is actually maintained by the county, for example, and a Tort Claim Notice will need to be sent to both.

If you still have questions after reading the Oregon Statute, you should contact an Oregon personal injury attorney. They will be able to answer your questions, assess your case, and if you hire them, support and guide you through this complex legal process.


About Sean DuBois

Sean is a personal injury attorney in Portland, OR. He has been recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine as Oregon Rising Stars for the past four years because of his dedication to justice and fair compensation for his clients. If you need to speak with a lawyer about your injury case, Sean can be reached at 503-222-4411.

Posted on December 3, 2013, in Automobile Accidents, Oregon Car Accidents, Portland car accidents. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: