Driver Cited in Crash That Injured Motorcyclist

Date: September 2, 2013
Location: Highway 99W, Highway 47
Names: Lynn Clyde McKibben, Jeannie G. Perez

A motorcyclist was injured in a crash at the intersection of Highway 99W and Highway 47 on Monday when he was hit by a pickup.

The accident occurred when Lynn Clyde McKibben, 70, was riding a 2014 Honda motorbike on Highway 99W. He was hit by 1991 Chevrolet pickup driven by Jeannie G. Perez, 30, that had stopped at the intersection to cross the road. Perez did not see the motorbike approaching and hit it.

McKibben was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident and was thrown into a ditch and sustained injuries. Perez was wearing a seatbelt and was not injured in the incident. Police have cited Perez for failing to obey a traffic control device.

We extend our sympathies to the injured and hope he recovers quickly and completely.

We wish McKibben a complete and speedy recovery, and hope that this accident can serve as a reminder for all of us to be aware of the dangers motorcyclists face while sharing the road.

In fact, according to the NHTSA, motorcyclists are 16 times more likely to sustain serious injuries than drivers of cars in motor vehicle crashes. With this alarming rate of injury, it is vital that you take precautions as a motorcyclist and as a driver. While we should always be aware and careful when driving a car, we must redouble our efforts when motorcycles are near, because hitting one can be disastrous.

If you are involved in a motorcycle accident, there are several things you should do:

  • Contact the police. If the police won’t come to the scene, you must report your accident to the DMV within 72 hours.
  • Call an ambulance, if necessary.
  • If you are able, exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s), passengers, and witnesses.
  • Take photos. The more photos you have of the damage done to your motorcycle, the other vehicle, tire marks on the road, weather conditions, property damage, the intersection, your injuries, etc. the better.
  • Take before and after photographs of any repairs made to your motorcycle, and keep all the record for those repairs.

In Oregon, motorcycle riders are not required to have Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance coverage, which is the no-fault insurance that covers medical bills in most auto accidents. But, if you are injured as a motorcyclist, your health insurance should cover your medical bills. Then your health insurance will be reimbursed once you have reached a settlement with the at-fault driver’s insurance company.

If you still have questions, concerns, or are unsure how to proceed, contact a Portland motorcycle accident attorney for a free consultation and case evaluation.








About Sean DuBois

Sean is a personal injury attorney in Portland, OR. He has been recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine as Oregon Rising Stars for the past four years because of his dedication to justice and fair compensation for his clients. If you need to speak with a lawyer about your injury case, Sean can be reached at 503-222-4411.

Posted on September 5, 2013, in Portland personal injury attorneys and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: